Monument Site at Gettysburg
The photo above shows 13th Independent Battery monument as it appeared following the dedication in 1893. The town of Gettysburg may be seen to the south. Today, this site is located on the south side of Howard Avenue, about 130 yards west of Carlisle Road. The 13th Battery fought at this location until the union lines were forced to retreat back through the town of Gettysburg to Cemetery Ridge. The photos below show how the site appeared a few years ago. Much of the brush shown has since been removed. Stone markers like the one shown indicate where the left and right flanks of the battery rested. One of these markers can also be seen at the lower right corner of the larger photo.
|Return to Gettysburg Page||Return to Main Page|
13th Independent Battery - NY Light Artillery
Copyright © 2000, 2001 by John J. Clavin, Jr. All rights reserved.
This page created and maintained by John Clavin, email@example.com
Updated 9 Jun 2001